The China Thrillers Series Peter May's LATEST NEWS BUY Peter May's China Thrillers
signed and personally inscribed
Try Peter May's
FAVOURITE ORIENTAL RECIPES
ALL ABOUT Peter May:
biography, background, interviews
Find out about Peter May's
Creative Writing Courses in France
ARTICLES by Peter May REVIEWS of Peter May's work the firemaker the fourth sacrifice the killing room snakehead the runner chinese whispers CONTACT Peter May back to HOME PAGE
(For Prawns, Fish, Marinated Chicken or Vegetables)
This is a wonderful, light, crispy, so-easy-to-make batter that can be used for just about any meat, fish or vegetable. Spicy and savoury dips will cling to it to enhance the experience.
2 egg yolks
200ml/7fl oz iced water
100g/4oz sifted plain flour
extra flour for dusting ingredients
1) Lay out the ingredients to be cooked and, just before cooking, dust with flour, shaking off any excess.
2) Prepare the batter. Place the egg yolks in a mixing bowl, add the iced water, and mix very light. Do not beat. Add the flour all at once. Mix very lightly with chopsticks. The batter will be very lumpy.
3) Heat oil for deep-frying in a saucepan to 170 degrees C (325F).
4) Dip the food in the batter and place in the hot oil. Deep-fry for about 3 minutes until golden. Continue until all the ingredients are cooked, frying only a few at a time.
5) Drain the cooked pieces on kitchen paper. Serve on a warm platter with dipping sauces and condiments.
Return to top of page Return to Batters